About Me

My photo
Hello, Welcome to my blog. I've been teaching English for over 13 years. I lived in Italy for 10 years on the sunny island of Sardinia. I was born in Manchester and went to university in Liverpool, where I studied Geography. I love travelling and have visited lots of different countries

Followers

Thursday 24 July 2008

Key points from the lecture about the media

  • confusing reality and fantasy
  • people don't want to see reality on tv - they want fantasy
  • more men on tv, only 38% were women
  • men can solve problems, don't need help, money, better jobs
  • women are represented as looking for a relationship
  • Americans watch 30 hours of tv a week
  • Easy to find rich people on tv shows - this does not represent reality
  • Occupations and economical status does not represent the reality
  • 1/3 of people on tv have professional jobs but in reality 11%
  • more than 50% of people on tv are seen as wealthy
  • the reality is that it is lower
  • compared tv to a product - a marketing tool
  • stereotypes - easy and quick to recognise so people identify with them
  • Like tv for entertainment purposes

No comments: